Monday 31 January 2011

Today's session 31/01/11

Following a 13 mile steady state bike ride this morning (with a couple of sprints thrown in) with a client, it was nice to follow that up with something a bit more brutal!
I wanted to have another bash at the one arm long cycle (OALC) since it had been over a 6 weeks since my last attempt. That resulted in 100 reps in the allotted 10 minute time but due to excessive forearm fatigue, I had 4 hand changes which was disappointing. This was definitely my my weak link since I was able to cope quite well at that particular cadence (10 reps per minute) in a Cardiovascular sense.

OK, thorough warm up was done,clock was set, I was ready. Starting on my right hand, I managed to do a straight 50 reps in the 5 minutes. My technique is getting much better now as I had no fatigue being exhibited around my shoulders and the bell remained stable throughout with a strong lock out.
So, hand switch was done and I was off and running, feeling very confident, on the left hand side I managed 51 reps.
So, overall, pretty pleased with that as I feel as though once I get my forearms better conditioned to the work load, my numbers will fly. Once I start to hit serious numbers, then I will introduce a 28.

It was also my intention to follow this with a ladder sequence of some kind and I came up with the following:

performed the following sequence for 10 reps:

Clean, clean squat and press, snatch (entire sequence = 1 rep)

2 x 12kg bells
One minute rest
2 x 16kg bells
One minute rest
2 x 20kg bells
Two minute rest
2 x 16kg bells
One minute rest
2 x 12kg bells


End.

Heart rate here hit a high of 180 BPM on the 20kg set.
However, as with all ladders, despite drooping weight insets 4 and 5 my heart rate was still buzzing around 170BPM.

A good little session I think, tough but enjoyable.

I am due at some point do attempt a max test in the 5 minute snatch test.
This is in part due to a challenge entered on www.konkura.com
My goal here is 120 to 130 reps. Not so long a go I managed the SSST (200 reps with a 24 in 10 mins) and 100 reps also in the snatch with a 24 in 3 minutes 40 seconds, so I am fairly confident. As with any max test, you really have to have all the right components in place, in other words physiologically and psychologically ready!
This will be videoed as well as a Tabata with 2 x 20 kg bells. I think it's about time I added some videos up here of some of my sessions.

2 Comments:

At 31 January 2011 at 13:52 , Blogger Unknown said...

It's really interesting to see you use the 12s a lot I have two 12s and 2 16s so I always pick them up. I know it must take it out of you still

 
At 31 January 2011 at 15:03 , Blogger Del Wilson said...

The 12's as part of a ladder represent quite a significant weight. As a stand alone weight, they're pretty easy to handle but when you get to the downward part of the ladder sequence, they are managable still but your heart rate won't care too much for that! Like I said, mine was still up at 170+ during the last two sets.
They're also a nice entry point into a laddered sequence serving as part of a good warm up, both in a physiological and psychological sense.
Snatching a 32 seems nigh on impossible initial but when you go up through the weights in a sequence, it no loger seems intimidating when you get there.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home